Two Approaches to IT Support. One Clear Winner
As a modern business, your success depends on your technology functioning properly. As many businesses have discovered when their solutions did not function as intended, the effects can have considerable impact to their success rates. To help keep your business running, you need to be sure that your solutions are maintained.
How Not to Help Your Business
When many people hear the term “tech support,” the first thing that pops into their mind is the common perception of IT services, which is also known as a break-fix approach.
This approach usually plays out in the following way:
- Something breaks or stops working as expected and a user (or users) can’t get work done.
- You reach out and contact tech support.
- A tech has to be sent out to resolve the issue.
- You wait for the tech to arrive.
- The tech arrives and resolves the issue. You pay the support fees.
- Your affected employees are able to return to work.
While this approach does ultimately get your technology issue resolved, consider how much you’re really paying each time this happens. Sure, you’re paying your IT provider for their services, but there are other costs associated with this approach. Your employees still have to be paid for their time, even if the issue rendered them unable to complete their tasks.
You also have to consider if the issue affected any of your clients as well. If the issue prevented them from receiving the benefit that they utilize your services for, they are not likely to be very pleased with you. If it happens often enough, many will likely seek out a competitor.
Clearly, while this approach works, it certainly doesn’t minimize the damage an issue can potentially cause your business.
How to Really Help Your Business
Many businesses today are moving away from that version of tech support in favor of a different approach: managed services.
With managed services, the approach to resolving technology issues plays out much differently.
- One of the managed service provider’s technology specialists notices that a mission-critical component on your network might soon experience an issue. They reach out and inform you of the potential issue.
- The MSP works to fix the problem remotely, if applicable.
- If the issue is covered by your service level agreement with the MSP, you pay nothing more than the predictable, monthly service fees.
- Your employees are able to continue their work, with little to no interruption.
Managed services, like the ones that White Mountain IT Services can provide, will help you to minimize the amount of downtime that your business will experience. By working proactively to monitor and maintain your solutions, you can ensure that your workforce remains productive. Give us a call at 603-889-0800 to learn more.
- Would You Fall for this Adult Scam if You Saw an Old Passwor... As you may expect, the average Internet scammer isn’t above resorting to dirty tricks to claim their ill-gotten prize from their victims. A recent scam demonstrates just how dirty these tricks can truly be, and unfortunately, how ill-prepared many are to handle them. To preface this scam, we need...
- How to Compose a Successful Business Continuity Plan If you don’t consider the worst-case scenario when preparing your business’ disaster recovery strategy, you’ll inevitably suffer from it when it does happen. Taking into account all of these nuances is one of the main ways your organization can prepare for such an occasion. All of these instances ne...
- 4 Internal Threats Every Business Owner Should Understand In light of all the data leaks and vulnerabilities that have been brought to light over the past few years, network security has to be a priority for every business. One problem many organizations have is that while they are protecting their network and infrastructure from threats outside their comp...
- Spend More Time Managing Your Business, and Less Managing Ve... Chances are, you most likely view your vendors as a necessary evil. While you have to work with them to get the things that your business needs to function, it’s hard to not think of everything else that could be accomplished in the time you spend dealing with them. Unfortunately, there are even mor...
- Getting to Know Technology: Hackers It doesn’t matter how much of a technology novice someone is, chances are, they’ve heard the term “hacker” before. A favorite character trope of Hollywood films and television dramas, these cybercriminals have appeared in productions like Die Hard and Mr. Robot with varying degrees of accuracy. Belo...
- Why Should Your Vendors Decide What’s Right for Your Busines... You serve as a vendor to your clients, providing them with a necessary good or service. Likewise, you have vendors that provide you with the goods and services that enable you to do so. However, how well are your vendors managed? What is Vendor Management? Putting it simply, vendor management is ...