What’s New with Blockchain?
Blockchain is one of the most popular emerging technologies, and it’s easy to see why. While the technology behind blockchain was once looked at as having no practical application in the workplace, it is now taking a seat front and center as a security tool for a modern business environment. Let’s take a look at what’s going on in the world of blockchain.
What is Blockchain?
Blockchain is a decentralized ledger system that records information for all transactions on specific and permanent blocks. Any block that exists on a blockchain represents a change to the overlying information on the chain, meaning that any change to a block’s data would break and corrupt the entire chain. Developers can take advantage of this to create opportunities for data security, smart contracts, and other purposes.
It’s also notable that blockchain is the technology that makes cryptocurrency like Bitcoin work as intended, and it has produced a method for some of the largest venture capitalist firms in the world to spend billions of dollars in funding on these companies. This kind of involvement by major investors has provided with a clear path to being more than just a fringe alternative to digital currency, paving the way for more research and ambitious ideas.
Innovative Uses for Blockchain
There are a lot of new ways people are trying to utilize blockchain technology. They include:
- Payment systems
- Smart contracts (including real estate and vehicle title transfers)
- Supply-chain management
- Loyalty rewards programs
- Medical record keeping
- Data sharing
- Wills and inheritances
- Intellectual property management
- Online voting
- Tax regulation and compliance
- Weapons and prescription drug tracking
- Labor rights management
- Internet of Things network management
- And more
With such a huge increase in the way blockchain is used, many organizations are trying to implement it to solve operational issues. Therefore, we want you to take a moment to think about how the blockchain could solve some of your problems. Of course, you should ask this question about any service or solution you implement, and you’ll want to discuss this with trusted IT experts. White Mountain IT Services can provide you with that pillar of support. To learn more, reach out to us at 603-889-0800.
- What You Need to Know About the Growing FinTech Market Money needs to move in order for the economy to work. Traditionally, banks are the major lending institutions, and as a result have to adhere to a myriad of regulations. To provide an equitable system that people aren’t afraid to utilize, there are a lot of checks and balances that have put in place...
- Google Duplex Can Make Calls for You, and More At Google I/O 2018, the latest occurrence of Google’s convention for developers, a stunning new technology was demonstrated to those in attendance. Called Google Duplex, it adds a new level of utility and capability to the Google Assistant, in that it enables the Google Assistant to make phone calls...
- Three Reasons VoIP is a Great Choice for Businesses If you’re trying to run your business without considering communication, you’re crippling your business unnecessarily. One of the ways that you can improve communications is by capitalizing on a modern phone system that uses the cloud. You might be surprised by how great a cloud-hosted VoIP solution...
- Why Should Your Vendors Decide What’s Right for Your Busines... You serve as a vendor to your clients, providing them with a necessary good or service. Likewise, you have vendors that provide you with the goods and services that enable you to do so. However, how well are your vendors managed? What is Vendor Management? Putting it simply, vendor management is ...
- What Could Possibly Be Wrong with Your Computer? Slow computers are one of the small annoyances in an office that can implicate a much larger issue is hidden. The frustration stems from not being able to get anything done, whether it’s because the computer isn’t responding to your commands or it’s so slow that you can’t accomplish anything notewor...
- What Will We Use When the Computer Mouse Goes Extinct? Does anyone remember computer punch cards? Does this date us? Either way, since computing punch cards went the way of the dinosaur, there has been some version of the keyboard and mouse as we know them today. These interfacing tools have become so ingrained into our minds that it is frankly difficul...