Smartphones are handy little devices for a lot of different reasons, not the least of which their availability when a note needs to be taken and the apps that are available for just that purpose. One of these apps, Evernote, stands a step above the rest, especially for use in a business setting. For our tip this week, we’ll go over some of the features that Evernote offers that can help out your business.
Evernote is essentially a cloud-based virtual filing system that allows users to create and organize an assortment of file types, saving them as “notes” within “notebooks.” A variety of its capabilities make it well-suited to business use, including support on a computer and a mobile device, integrations with other business-friendly applications, and its capacity for collaboration.
Evernote is available in a few tiers, with a free version, a paid premium version, and another paid business-centric version. This final tier delivers a few features that are unique and useful to a business audience, such as administrative capabilities and Spaces, a means for direct collaboration. However, we’ll instead focus on the free version, which has plenty to offer a business user as well.
Speaking the Language
To better appreciate Evernote’s organizational capacity, it helps to understand its internal terminology.
- Notes - a note is how Evernote refers to any document, in any of the formats that Evernote plays nicely with. This includes typed-up text, content clipped from the Internet, or visual content.
- Notebooks - a notebook is what your notes are stored and organized in by category.
- Tags - a tag is a keyword that you can add to a note, allowing it to be searchable via that keyword. These keywords allow notes to be viewed as a collection, even if they exist in separate notebooks.
Openly Available Features
As we said, the free version of Evernote, while not designed for business use, has no shortage of features that a business user would find extremely handy for their work processes.
- Shareability - Any content that you have on Evernote can be shared with anyone else, whether or not that person also uses Evernote. While this power would need to be used responsibly in a business setting to maintain security, this could also be a useful feature to leverage.
- Assistant Compatibility - For those users who rely on Siri or the Google Assistant throughout the day, they can be used to navigate Evernote and edit your notes by voice command.
- Scrapbook-Style Note-Taking - If you happen to find pertinent content while surfing the Internet, Evernote also has a browser extension that lets you pull whatever it is into the correct notebook.
- Self-Management - Evernote offers various capabilities that can assist in organization. From to-do lists to built-in reminders, you won’t miss another deadline.
Is Evernote a good fit for your business operations? It could be! For any of your other IT-related questions or needs, don’t hesitate to reach out to White Mountain IT Services at 603-889-0800!
- Why (and How) SMBs Should Strategically Adopt Technology There is no question that a small business can benefit from technology, as has been proven time and time again. However, an issue can arise if a business bites off more than it can chew, so to speak, and ultimately creates a spike in costs. A responsible business owner will resist this temptation an...
- Tip of the Week: Using Microsoft Word to Edit a PDF Document In case you’re looking for a nice alternative PDF file-editing software, the most recent version of Microsoft Word can do so. Since the investment for Adobe Acrobat isn’t for everyone, you can instead turn to the tried-and-true all-purpose word processing software to edit your PDF files. Open the P...
- Tip of the Week: Are You at Risk Due to the IoT? The Internet of Things is now a commonality. IoT devices are in our homes, in our offices, and in our pockets. While these devices are incredibly convenient, they also contribute to some major security risks. For today’s tip, we’ll review some of the ways to reduce these risks while still leveraging...
- Tip of the Week: Did You Know Your Computer Can Do All This? Your computer is mostly just a machine used to accomplish specific tasks. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t know all of the advanced tips that help you get the most out of it, though. Here are some of the best shortcuts that you can use to take full advantage of your workstation. WindowsYour Win...
- Your Employees Can Be One Of Your Biggest Security Risks A surprising number of security issues come from inside your organization. User error on the part of the employee can present major problems for your workflow, data security, and the integrity of your business. User error could be something as simple as an employee clicking on the wrong links when t...
- Tip of the Week: How To Put A Table Of Contents In A Google ... If you author a long document, having a table of contents can help your readers get the information they need fast. Here is how to insert a table of contents into a Google Doc. In order to use the Table of Contents feature, you need utilize the preset heading and title formatting option. This can b...