Tip of the Week: Evernote as a Productivity Tool
Smartphones are handy little devices for a lot of different reasons, not the least of which their availability when a note needs to be taken and the apps that are available for just that purpose. One of these apps, Evernote, stands a step above the rest, especially for use in a business setting. For our tip this week, we’ll go over some of the features that Evernote offers that can help out your business.
Evernote is essentially a cloud-based virtual filing system that allows users to create and organize an assortment of file types, saving them as “notes” within “notebooks.” A variety of its capabilities make it well-suited to business use, including support on a computer and a mobile device, integrations with other business-friendly applications, and its capacity for collaboration.
Evernote is available in a few tiers, with a free version, a paid premium version, and another paid business-centric version. This final tier delivers a few features that are unique and useful to a business audience, such as administrative capabilities and Spaces, a means for direct collaboration. However, we’ll instead focus on the free version, which has plenty to offer a business user as well.
Speaking the Language
To better appreciate Evernote’s organizational capacity, it helps to understand its internal terminology.
- Notes - a note is how Evernote refers to any document, in any of the formats that Evernote plays nicely with. This includes typed-up text, content clipped from the Internet, or visual content.
- Notebooks - a notebook is what your notes are stored and organized in by category.
- Tags - a tag is a keyword that you can add to a note, allowing it to be searchable via that keyword. These keywords allow notes to be viewed as a collection, even if they exist in separate notebooks.
Openly Available Features
As we said, the free version of Evernote, while not designed for business use, has no shortage of features that a business user would find extremely handy for their work processes.
- Shareability - Any content that you have on Evernote can be shared with anyone else, whether or not that person also uses Evernote. While this power would need to be used responsibly in a business setting to maintain security, this could also be a useful feature to leverage.
- Assistant Compatibility - For those users who rely on Siri or the Google Assistant throughout the day, they can be used to navigate Evernote and edit your notes by voice command.
- Scrapbook-Style Note-Taking - If you happen to find pertinent content while surfing the Internet, Evernote also has a browser extension that lets you pull whatever it is into the correct notebook.
- Self-Management - Evernote offers various capabilities that can assist in organization. From to-do lists to built-in reminders, you won’t miss another deadline.
Is Evernote a good fit for your business operations? It could be! For any of your other IT-related questions or needs, don’t hesitate to reach out to White Mountain IT Services at 603-889-0800!
- Tech Term: What are Proxy Servers? While proxy server is a tech term that is frequently cited, it is not understood by a vast majority of people. Today we will describe what a proxy server is, and why organizations like yours use them. What is a Proxy Server? Simply put, a proxy server is a computer that acts as an intermediary be...
- Tip of the Week: Awareness is Key to Mobile Device Security With more and more businesses relying on mobile devices for their business they have to be sure that the use of these devices doesn’t present security issues for the company. With all that is happening in business computing today, finding out how you can protect yourself in lieu of the prevalence sm...
- Tip of the Week: 3 Ways to a Faster Boot Time Your time is valuable, so you don’t have time to waste on waiting for your Windows operating system to boot up. In the interest of saving time, today’s tip will go over three ways to speed up your Windows 10 boot time. Of course, you should always check with IT to make sure it is okay before you ...
- 4 Internal Threats Every Business Owner Should Understand In light of all the data leaks and vulnerabilities that have been brought to light over the past few years, network security has to be a priority for every business. One problem many organizations have is that while they are protecting their network and infrastructure from threats outside their comp...
- Is a Better Camera a Good Reason to Buy a Smartphone? Today the smartphone camera has become one of the biggest selling points when consumers look to purchase a new phone. This is largely because it is crucial to the use of many of the applications that your average user uses the smartphone for. It just goes to show that in less than two decades how mu...
- IoT Security is a Key Business Concern The Internet of Things is everywhere, which means that potential security risks are also everywhere. Your business needs to take the risks presented by the IoT into account and prepare accordingly. What are You Willing to Risk?When devising a policy for your company concerning the IoT, you need t...