The Important Difference Between Data and Information
You can’t have IT without information, you can’t have information without data, and technology is what creates data so that you can better use your company’s technology to increase sales. Got it? Understanding the flow of data can be confusing. It’s important to have a handle on it so you can leverage your data for the success of your business.
First off, we have to mention that most businesses use the two terms “data” and “information” interchangeably. This is true for White Mountain IT Services and it’s an acceptable practice within the industry, especially for marketing purposes. Although, to get technical about it, there’s a significant difference between the two terms.
Essentially, data is raw numbers collected by technology. Data looks like a bunch of ones and zeros, and if one were to read data, it would make zero sense. Subsequently, information is data that’s been processed and interpreted so that meaning can be attributed to it. Once you, the business owner, understand the meaning of the provided information, you can use the information to make informed decisions for your business.
This is why it’s so important that your company’s data-collection process is sound. Otherwise, your information may not be accurate, which will in turn lead to poor decision making. As you can imagine, how data goes from a seemingly-random number to become helpful information used to direct your organization, can be a bit of a process. If just one aspect of this process is weak, so will the end result.
One way to view this data-transformation process is with the DIKW Pyramid. This is a four-tier pyramid where wisdom is on the top and data at the bottom.
Business 2 Community provides us with a salad metaphor to describe the DIKW pyramid levels.
- Data: I have one item. The data displays a 1, not a zero.
- Information: It’s a tomato. Now, we understand the item and its characteristics.
- Knowledge: A tomato is a fruit. We can identify patterns in the information and apply them to the item.
- Wisdom: Tomato is never added to a fruit salad. There is an underlying, commonly understood principle that governs the item’s purpose.
B2C goes on to say that “bad data costs time and effort, gives false impressions, results in poor forecasts, and devalues everything else in the continuum.” You can see why it’s in your company’s best interest to place a high priority on having data quality software that ensures your data is as reliable as possible.
Additionally, if your servers and computers are functioning properly and your company’s communications are efficiently mapped out, there will be less chance of leaking and corrupting corporate data. As you can tell from the DIKW pyramid, if something were to happen to your data, you’d lose your company’s foundation. White Mountain IT Services can help meet both of these concerns with our managed IT services and our Backup and Disaster Recovery solution. Call us at 603-889-0800 to learn more.
- What You Need to Know About the Growing FinTech Market Money needs to move in order for the economy to work. Traditionally, banks are the major lending institutions, and as a result have to adhere to a myriad of regulations. To provide an equitable system that people aren’t afraid to utilize, there are a lot of checks and balances that have put in place...
- Google Duplex Can Make Calls for You, and More At Google I/O 2018, the latest occurrence of Google’s convention for developers, a stunning new technology was demonstrated to those in attendance. Called Google Duplex, it adds a new level of utility and capability to the Google Assistant, in that it enables the Google Assistant to make phone calls...
- How to Compose a Successful Business Continuity Plan If you don’t consider the worst-case scenario when preparing your business’ disaster recovery strategy, you’ll inevitably suffer from it when it does happen. Taking into account all of these nuances is one of the main ways your organization can prepare for such an occasion. All of these instances ne...
- What Could Possibly Be Wrong with Your Computer? Slow computers are one of the small annoyances in an office that can implicate a much larger issue is hidden. The frustration stems from not being able to get anything done, whether it’s because the computer isn’t responding to your commands or it’s so slow that you can’t accomplish anything notewor...
- Backup and Recovery of Collaborative Environments As the cloud is being utilized by more individuals and organizations to meet their computing needs, more very important data is hosted outside of local computer networks. As a result, people utilize cloud storage for their backup and recovery strategies. In fact, it has become the primary use of clo...
- Do You Know How to Determine Your Computing Needs? In most businesses today, the computer is an essential tool. Taking this into consideration, you need to make sure that your staff is equipped with the right tools for their given job… but which tool is the right tool? Here, we’ll review the determinations that will help you make the best choice of ...