Instant Messaging Tips for Greater Productivity
Communication is a key part of the workplace, and modern tools have made it more efficient than ever before to stay in contact with one another. One of the most important tools in the modern business’ repertoire is instant messaging, which is somewhat challenging to utilize without a way of ensuring productivity and professionalism.
There are several reasons why instant messaging can make or break your internal communications infrastructure. Here are a few ways it can benefit your organization.
Miscommunication happens, but a business setting is no place for this if it can be helped. If you fail to share the correct information with the right people, productivity could decrease and put operations at risk. Proper communication is able to minimize the risk of these errors.
When a business keeps its communications open all around, you might see an increase in companywide compatibility. This means that employees from all parts of your business will be forthcoming about their responsibilities for certain milestones in a process, keeping each member of a team productive, focused, and up to speed.
Better communication leads to better cooperation, leading to problems being solved easier and quicker. In this way, communication can help your organization mitigate issues and solve them in a more efficient way. Furthermore, problems that span departments can be resolved without interpersonal issues affecting the work involved.
Effective Problem Solving
Communicating gives your team a better pool of talents to work toward a goal. It doesn’t matter if the problem is strategic or technical; this ability will give you more options to resolve an issue and benefit your business’ operations.
Instant Messaging in the Workplace
All of these outcomes can potentially result from a messaging application’s use, as long as it’s implemented correctly. You want to make sure that the solution you intend to use works properly with your business’ goals. Furthermore, an instant messaging solution is only valuable if your staff are using it effectively. Here are some best practices to consider for your instant messaging system:
- Keep it in check: There’s a fine line between your staff properly using instant messaging capabilities and aimlessly chatting all day. Encourage your staff to limit their conversations to those related to the workday.
- Remain professional: Conversations that occur through your instant messaging software should be focused on workplace matters and strictly professional. The instant messaging application shouldn’t be used to share jokes, GIFs, memes, or other silliness in excess. As always, moderation is key here.
- Don’t rely too much on it: Not all conversations should be held through your instant messaging platform. It’s important that you keep in mind certain conversations are better had in person or via email.
What are your thoughts on instant messaging in the workplace? Be sure to let us know in the comments.
- What Could Possibly Be Wrong with Your Computer? Slow computers are one of the small annoyances in an office that can implicate a much larger issue is hidden. The frustration stems from not being able to get anything done, whether it’s because the computer isn’t responding to your commands or it’s so slow that you can’t accomplish anything notewor...
- Tip of the Week: Keyboard Shortcuts to Save You Time Even the simplest tasks in the office can eat up a surprising amount of time over the span of a year. For example, did you know that switching from your keyboard to your mouse can consume up to eight full work days every year? By taking advantage of keyboard shortcuts, you can cut down on the amount...
- What Will We Use When the Computer Mouse Goes Extinct? Does anyone remember computer punch cards? Does this date us? Either way, since computing punch cards went the way of the dinosaur, there has been some version of the keyboard and mouse as we know them today. These interfacing tools have become so ingrained into our minds that it is frankly difficul...
- Are You Prepared to Weather Any Disaster? Hurricane season can be a scary time for business owners, as those in at-risk climates can never feel safe from these kinds of unpredictable and devastating storms. In particular, those who aren’t prepared to face this destruction are in considerable danger of having their organizations ended for go...
- Automation is Exciting, But your Employees Might Be Worried It’s no secret that business operations have a lot of moving parts that need to be considered. The thing is, these parts are most likely the simplest elements of any workflow, but take up large portions of time simply due to the number of them that need to be addressed. I bet that you could easil...
- Three Gifts for Your IT Resource The holiday season is here, and the spirit of giving is in the air. Why not give the IT professional in your life a few things that they’ve been wishing for all year? Here, we’ve compiled a list of things you can give them, some of which will cost you (and your business) nothing. Wish One: Securi...